Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Faith Healers - Bollocks!


Today as part of my regular trawl of the nets news sites - I came accross an interesting article about Chris de Burg. Who on an interview with Gloria Hunniford has made the bold claim that he has the power to cure illness using only the power of touch!
The singer of Lady in Red claims to have healed a man in the West Indies who was unable to walk, a footballer from Guillain-BarrĂˆ syndrome and once used his psychic powers to predict his wife falling from her horse - and gave her invaluable advice preventing her from subequently paralysing herself.

He has only used his powers on rare occassions. I wonder why this is? If I had the power to heal - I would use my powers for the good of man kind instead of releasing second rate albums. The man hasn't had a decent hit in 20 years. I would also prove my abilities to the world through some sort of experiment or live performance.
What also shocks me is the amount of people who will blindly believe this mans claims - just look at the comments section of the article. I believe, as did Albert Einstein that not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted. But Chris de Burg the miracle worker? I just cant believe it. Is this a publicity stunt to promote his new album or is Chris delusional? I suspect he actually believes his claims.

Normally deluding yourself like this is pretty harmless and we all delude ourselves to a certain degree. Posh Spice, for example thinks she can sing. But when you claim you have powers to heal where ordinary medicine should be used - you could indirectly harm people by them choosing not to seek the correct treatment, favoring the healing hands approach instead.
Have you had any experience of faith healers? If so I'd like to hear from you - obviously I'm a sceptic so don't be offended if I don't believe / want to laugh at you.

No comments: