Thursday, August 31, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine

Well, last night, I got to see a prescreening of Little Miss Sunshine. On my way to see it I knew very little about it. To be honest it sounded like a screen adaptation of a Roger Hardgreaves book (Author of the Mr Men & Little Misses Series). I wasn't expecting much but I was pleasantly suprised.

The film focuses on a disfunctional family on a road trip to a beauty pagent in California so that 8 year old Olive can compete. The Father is obesessed by success - and pushes his daughter too hard despite his own failings. His mother is pro-honesty and feels that Olive shouldn't be shielded from some of lifes less pleasant moments. The gay uncle who recently failed in a suicide attempt comes along along with a heroin snorting grandfather and a mute older brother.

The trailers give little or no indication of how funny this film is. It is dark comedy and also a feel good movie if thats possible.

Keep an eye out for the grandad - he is by far the funniest character in the film and I could despite his constant crude comments I could not fault one bit of his advice.

This is a must see film.

No comments: